Monday 8 August 2011

Nothing but Fear

When I had a new idea or a plan to do something, John would sometimes say to me "there's nothing but fear stopping you."

When he ran away from home, he lived in his car before heading up North to build bridges. Even though he wasn't much more than a boy, the men there gave him a home in their camps and a job. He worked from great heights, dangling in a bucket over rushing rivers and rocky ravines. Sounds like a brave thing to do, but all the years that I knew him, and we were married for 36 years, he was afraid of heights.

Fear is a state of mind, it's not true, why do we give it so much credence?

Ghandi said "There would be nothing to frighten you if you refused to be afraid."

If I refused to be afraid, what would happen?

I would realize that when I went through the 'deep waters' I did not drown.
I would learn that when I go through the 'fires' I will not be consumed.
I would know that when I go through the dark valleys, I will rise above them.
I would discover that when I am in the 'storms' of life I will get washed...

...to be washed by heavens rain, of what shall I be afraid?

I will not be afraid for You have ransomed me, You have called me by name. I am yours and You said to me "you are precious to me, you are honored and I love you...so do not fear, for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am your God I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10, 43:4

John was right, there is nothing to fear.