Thursday 10 January 2013

So, So Good

Are you building a well or constructing a fence?  That was the question he asked.  Easy answer I thought; constructing a fence of course, keeping everything and everyone safe... digging a well, not so much, someone could fall in and never get out, how could that be good?

When I heard the rest of the story, I realized I hadn’t quite thought the question through and I was gently reminded of something my mother-in-law would have said if she had heard my initial response to the asked question... “No. Wrong.”

Funny to remember...quick and short with her answer and usually said slowly as if the person at the receiving end didn’t quite understand english…still makes me laugh.

Yes, truth is I was wrong; truth is you want to be building a well, you want to be building something that will provide a sustaining source to those around you, something that will nourish life, living water. I liked that.
  
Of course I want to build a well; truth is I have built a well.  I have built a well that has sustained my children through the years, a well that they came back to again and again, sometimes taking in sips, sometimes big gulps and sometimes taking in long, long life giving drafts.  Truth is I constructed a few fences too, ones that came down pretty quickly when instead I put my children under God’s care.  I learned early that He cared for my children more than I did, I could trust Him and the fences were not needed.  I liked that too.

My children are grown now, they have children of their own and they are deciding for themselves the wells they build or the fences they construct, but my job is not yet done, there is still something I can do.  I can make sure that my well still flows freely, that there are no clogs building up, that my well still sustains my small families.  I am a grandparent that can still sustain and impress with my well of living water.  Yes, my well is still useful.  I like that.

The next question he asked was wondering what will I impress on my children and my grandchildren this year.  And my heart thought, what will I take out from the depths of my well to share with my families to let them know that my well is still good, that living water is still flowing there telling that God is so good…so, so good.

For 2013, from my well, found in a song from Psalm 103...kept there to be sipped slowly, turned and tasted, 10,000 reasons to bless my soul,

The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing your song again
Whatever may pass and whatever lies before me
let me be singing when the evening comes.

This is what I will impress on my children and my grandchildren, each day is new, He is my hope and He is their hope as well…whatever may pass and whatever lies before them...He is good.  So, so good.

I love that