Thursday 27 December 2012

Love Actually


I watched a movie the other night called ‘Love Actually’, it tells the story of how love can be found.  In the introduction the narrator uses the tragedy of the New York trade towers as an example that despite the tragedy, stories of love were everywhere. "Love is actually all around.” I liked that.

I found a song this Christmas written and sung by Casting Crowns, called ‘While You Were Sleeping’ and it tells the story of not paying attention to the love that is given for all of us.  Take a moment if you can and listen to it.

This song seems rather fitting considering what has happened in the world these last few weeks. The song is aimed for the United States but the rest of the countries in this world could easily have their names slipped in to its place.

Right now we are aware of the massacres in Newtown,Conneticut; Chengping,China and Webster, NewYork; shootings, stabbings…planned murderous rampages, all of these happening in the middle of this December, a time when all should be joy.

Yet these happenings are not new.  Our world is filled with suffering, has been, for well over 2000 years…more. 

Our world is filled with strange philosophies, ideas and thoughts that take us away from personal relationships, family and love; thinking that takes us away from God, from His hope and His peace. 

Well that’s what the world view seems to say.  But I’m not so sure…actually, I see love all around.

I see family holding on to one another, I see parents loving each other.  I see Grandparents praying for their children and grandchildren, loving them, giving them hope through illnesses and suffering.  I see elderly parents being cared for by their children while they travel the road to the end of life on this earth. I see friends to all of these, whole communities stepping up to show support and to offer help, hope, love. 

Unending love, actually.

I see men working hard to make lives better for others in this world, whether it is in other countries or whether it is right in their own neighbourhoods, men that are helping single mothers and giving to food banks, animal shelters and to causes that affect them just as much as the ones they are helping.  I see some of these same men working towards leading their families in love and purpose.  I see young women stepping out to help in the hospitals, to feed the poor and I see young mothers loving their children and teaching them to love in return.  I see Pastors sharing the message of what God wants us to know and I see their congregations responding, doing more, in love.

Unending love.

I see children in Christmas plays helping out their special needs friends, I see children lending a hand up to their team mate in sporting events, I see children throwing their arms around teachers as they give out gifts they have chosen, I see the teachers responding in kind.  I see children who are showing signs of taking care of others, of putting others before themselves…I see hearts filled with pride, joy, love.

Unending love, actually.

Yes, I see the light in the eyes of the children, I see the reflection in their parents’ eyes, and I see pride beaming in grandparents. I see the sparkle in the eyes of the great grandparents, the ones that say ‘my body is old but inside I am young’.  I see people looking at other people, wanting to help, daring to help, loving to help. 

I see the stories that tell this is going on in the whole of the world, stories that are on the edges of the suffering, but they are there, they can be found…actually, love is all around.

I love that.