Monday 18 July 2011

Being Personal

I watched a favorite movie this past week, You've Got Mail. I love this movie, I'll watch it everytime it comes on TV. Among other things that I love about it, there is a quote in it that stands out to me, I wait for it.

"...and what's so wrong with being personal anyway? Whatever else anything is, it ought to begin by being personal."

I agree, how can anything have any real meaning if we are not personal, we ought to begin this way.

I've been reading through the Old Testament (the Message) and I've just started Chronicles. In his intro to this book Eugene Peterson writes,

"Names launch this story, hundreds and hundreds of names, lists of names, page after page of names. There is no true story telling without names...holy history is not constructed from impersonal forces or abstract ideas, it is woven with names...personal names that add up to a people of God, a holy congregation."

I have taken on a whole new consideration of reading these names, these were real people and they are a personal part of the story, they are true. God knew them.

On Sunday morning Rob talked about God knowing us, before we were knit together in our mothers womb, before our thoughts become words, no matter where we are, even in the dark. He knows us.

Rob used an example of David's conversation with God in Psalm 139 and we see how David knows God and talks to Him in a real way, Rob says "...his words are harsh, they are personal."

I love that. Knowing God, it ought to begin by being personal.