Thursday 9 February 2012

Glorious days


Earlier in this week, we enjoyed some beautiful spring days, it was like April in February.  One of those mornings, I sat outside in my red lawn chair, sipping coffee, admiring the three eagles that for days now, have been perched in the tree down by the pasture.  I took in Mount Baker heaped with snow, sun tipped, and my own little dog sunning in the grass beside me.  When I went inside, I left my door open and opened the windows too, allowing the sound of my pond bubbling into itself, to drift in through my screens, not to mention that sweet sweet smell of fresh air.

Such a glorious morning.  I am looking forward to spring being here for real, to enjoy more of those kind of days.  When I was a little girl I loved the coming of spring, taking off my shoes and running barefoot, through the grass and down the road.  I could not get my shoes and socks off fast enough…

Earlier in this week, I went to visit with my parents.  As we were taking in the sunshine my Dad said to me “I want to pay the grass guy to come here and dig out my gardens and pull out those tall  and tumbled weeds…”  looking at me, he continued  “unless you want to do it?”  A million no’s ran through my head, my hands stiffened and my shoulders came up, no.  Phone the grass guy.  No, not me.  I looked at him and said   “yes, I can do that.”  He smiled.

Such a glorious smile, if I can say that about my Dad.  But it did seem to make him pretty happy.  I checked the weather to see if the sun was still expected to be out, yes, one more day.  When I was a young wife, I loved working in the gardens, I kept gardening books, mapping out my rows of vegetables and flowers. Veggies that were best for eating straight from the garden without cooking and flowers that were best for growing tall and picking.  Picked for that favorite vase that a friend gave me long ago…

So, earlier this week, I went to my Dad’s to garden, I brought my grandson, Benny, with me, along with his wagon, his big yellow dump truck, his blue shovel, and some snackies.  Before we left my house I had given him some graham wafer crackers that he had spread some icing on, cookies for Pop and Oma, a sweet treat.  It was a morning of work, but such fun…and satisfying.  As I leaned on my rake, in drove my daughter-in- law with her little three, to leave with us as she went off to do ’just a quick errand’.  And I, watched my family.  One, two, three, four grandchildren, two great grandparents, one dog and me, overflowing my parents front yard.  Pop with his hat, dog in hand, Oma with the baby and all the little rest with stones in pockets full, sun shinning, filling us full of spring.

Such a glorious day.  When John and I had the tree farm, spring was a busy time.  We hardly had time for enjoying it.  It was all work, getting cuttings ready for planting, knees in dirt, digging holes, shaking off the pots, placing the plants, hands dirty and row after row laid out for more.  In the dirt, setting out irrigation pipes, stretched long, for the water to reach all the rows of  the young trees, the plantings that were laid out for the next four years of growing and weeding and waiting. We would be satisfied. Yes, today I am remembering those days…

Earlier this week, I enjoyed my my grandchildren and my Dad's glorious smile along with a bit of spring...but spring is not here yet, we just had a taste of it, we’re waiting, it will come and we will be satisfied.

For God’s Word is solid to the core; everything He makes is sound inside and out.
He loves it when everything fits, when His world is in plumb-line true.  
Earth is drenched in God’s affectionate satisfaction.  
Psalm 33: 4-5
I love that.