Sunday 20 November 2011

Whispers of love

Christmas is just around the corner and today I ordered a present for each of my little families, each one the same, a book, the same book. I can hardly wait to see them and have my fingers turn through their pages. I love new books and I love to give them as gifts. John and I made it a tradition to give books at Christmas. Sometimes there was a different book for each one, a book with a special message just for them or sometimes it was a book to share. Always, there was a little something extra inside the pages.

I was always the one to do the shopping but the one year I was able to talk John into coming with me...that was a surprise! I wanted to pick out big shiny exciting books but Papa wanted simple ones...a small book. "This one " he said. It was a small book, on the cover was a red barn with farm animals gathered around it. It was called "The Big Red Barn" by Margaret Wise Brown. A small book with a big message, as it happened, this was the last Christmas that Papa was with us. This special book remains as a reminder to my little families that Papa loved them in a special simple way. Everytime we look through it's pages we find Papa and a whisper of his love for us.

This new book that I just ordered is also a whisper of love. It is called "The Jesus Story Book Bible". It looks amazing. On the cover just under the title are the most beautiful words in the loveliest font... "every story whispers His name" I love that. Beautifully simple.

Simple. Sometimes we forget the simplicity of the book we base our faith on, we get caught up in the bigness of it, we want it to be big. We look for the excitement of it, we want to feel it. We want the big shiny miracles, we want to be part of it! We forget that the Bible"...isn't mainly about you and what you should be doing. It's about God and what He has done. Amen."

The Bible is a beautifully simple book, it tells the story of Christ in the new testament and in the old testament and ...every story whispers His name.