Saturday 5 November 2011

Joyful circumstances

I got caught this week doing a few things that I shouldn't have done, and I had to pay the price.

First, I got caught speeding. The officer came around to my car and asked for my registration and drivers liscence, then came back and gave me the ticket...57 in a 30... $253.00! When she walked away I said "thank-you" ...grrr.

Earlier, that morning I had been to the dentist with an abscess. When my dentist had worked on that tooth a long time ago he told me that I needed to be careful around that area. I guess I didn't floss properly and now he is saying that I need a root canal!

Later that evening, I ran the water for a bath. I put my Iphone and my book (my bible study book) on the ledge of the bathtub. My dog came by and tipped everything into the water! Yikes! A wet Iphone! What could possibly be worse! Well, besides a speeding ticket and a root canal?!

As I reflected, my whole day of trouble reminded me of the bible study lesson we are doing. Paul is in chains, shackled to a guard, imprisoned...yet he is praising God. He was being joyful in his circumstances, his horrible circumstances and he hadn't even done anything wrong!

I was not in chains but I certainly did some wrong things. I could have put myself in bondage with a suffering, 'poor me' attitude. But I didn't, I couldn't. Worse things could have happened! Hard lessons learned...God saved me, despite my errors in judgement and I'm thankful for that.

This weeks bible study lesson says, "to experience the power of peace in every situation, begin with thanksgiving. Did you know that the giving of thanks is willful? It is a decision on our part. And giving thanks is also commanded by God. His word tells us to give thanks always and for all things in everything and evermore. And the decision to do just that - to give thanks, no matter what- has a powerful effect on our attitude...and our peace."

It's not that He wanted me to suffer, but he wants me to learn something...I'm thankful I didn't hurt anyone speeding through a playground, I'm thankful for my dentist, I'm thankful that my Iphone is made well enough that it is still working. I'm thankful for my dog, I love him. And I am thankful for my God who is in the business of saving. I Love Him.

" Be joyful always, pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18