Friday 23 September 2011

Peace

I just had my pond re-designed.

For the four years that I've lived here, my 'water feature' has never worked properly, it could only be turned on for short times in a day and for the last two years it hasn't worked at all. The pump that propelled the waterfall often gave a power surge to the electrical box causing an overload and tripping several of the breakers, needless to say there would be a loss of power to many of my household appliances. On the times that it did work the waterfall was more like Niagra Falls, loud, fast and furious...which would inevitably lead to the said electrical failure! Hardly the 'peaceful' environment a backyard water feature should be producing. So, I just had my pond re-designed. It really is peaceful now, a trickling waterfall over an assortment of river rocks and pebbles, an oasis really. It's what I wanted, a beautiful sense of peace right in my own back yard.

Peace, it's what we all want. Peace from our everyday crazy, noisy, busy, stress full, over filled lives. Peace, we look for it, yearn for it, seek it...we need it. The book I am reading right now "Experiencing God's Peace" by Elizabeth George says this,

"There are many means by which we try to bring about the peace our souls long for. We purchase tranquil paintings meant to evoke a sense of peace. We buy music that can help us relax. In home gardens, shopping malls and in parks we build waterfalls, pools, ponds and fountains to summon up peace. We equate early mornings and evenings with peace...but our wonderful God has provided real peace for us..."

Even in our busy, everyday lives, through our troubles, because we will have troubles, we can find our peace in Him. As we look to Him, we will experience the peace we long for.

If you were to come to my house, we'd sit out by the pond, sip a cup of tea and talk about the book I'm reading...ahh, peace.

"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn His face toward you
and give you peace."
Numbers 6:24