Monday 7 October 2013

Plans and Intentions

I woke up this morning to a beautiful day, sun shining, lawn glistening, looking out the window…everything beautiful.

I noticed my windows need washing and I noticed there was spider webs everywhere, strung from any number of launching places; they too were glistening in the sunshine wet with a bit of dew.    Normally I would have gone out with my broom and swept them all away…but I noticed the spider.  

Have you ever watched a spider weaving his web?  It is a work of art, each thread placed on purpose, with clear intent.  And he keeps going despite the vastness of his job, he simply keeps on keeping on, spinning threads, from here to there, up, across and dropping down.  He has a plan and he is intent on completing it.

This never ending spinning plan is reminding me of the plans I am in the midst of right now, weaving arrangements for my Dads funeral.  It seems a vast job, well, not a job…an honor; an honor to put the final plans to a life well lived, but still vast and deep and hard, hard plans, threads being woven with intention of love.

I am also in the midst of a purchase for a new home, plans being woven in my mind, new ideas; threads of plans and intentions.  But circumstances happen, time gets away and I can see the broom nearby, ready to be picked up to sweep away the web I have been weaving.

I can see it happening, all my plans and intentions torn apart, leaving threads hanging, but I hope not…I pray not and despite the vastness of it, my plan is to keep on keeping on.
   
The spider in my window is still weaving and I will not be taking him down, sweeping away his heart and soul plans.  I will watch him to the end, spinning and weaving, loving his plans, watching them become what he has intended.

Dash his plans, sweep away his dreams?  No, not this time.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD "plans to prosper you 
and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"
Jeremiah 29:11

I love that.