Thursday 10 May 2012

Washing feet


“What does the thing about you that annoys me say about me?”

I heard a sermon the other day and the pastor asked that question.  Profound, don’t you think?

It is so easy to be annoyed with what other people do and then think badly of them, even go so far as to tell others what annoys us about them.  We are really saying ‘Don’t you agree?’ ‘Wouldn’t this drive you crazy too?’ ‘I’m right, aren’t I right?’ ‘That is so annoying?’  We want others to agree to see our view but really, and I think this is true, although I don’t like to realize it; what actually happens is how we are seen.  These kinds of discussions usually end up showing what kind of person we are.  Easily annoyed, quick to judge, heartless, puffed up with pride, altogether righteous, without grace and without mercy.  Regardless of what the thing really is...it ends up being about us.

Yikes, I have been easily annoyed by some people, maybe not easily annoyed so much as being rubbed the wrong way, well, it’s all the same.  But the truth is there are some people I do not fit well with.  This is all well and good, how could we possibly get along with everyone, see eye to eye with everyone, be on the same playing field with everyone,  be compatible with everyone?  Right?

This same pastor said another thing, ‘righteousness is about ‘right relationship’ ‘right relatedness’.  Yes, with Christ but also with one another, showing the right kind of righteousness.  I get that, I do.  I want to be that kind of person, showing the right kind of relatedness.

I don’t know about you but I want to be less annoyed.  I am really going to try hard to not let anyone see that I am annoyed.  I want to show grace and mercy and not tell anyone that I am annoyed.  Not tell anyone that I have been annoyed or that I am prone to feel that way.  I want to try hard to be 'right related'.  I want to try not to point out the annoyances of others because it will come back to me; it will end up being about me.  Like the old saying ‘what goes around comes around.’

In this past week’s study, a particular fact stood out to me. Jesus washed the feet of the disciples.  He washed the feet of all the disciples.  He washed the feet of Judas, his betrayer.  Judas, the one who was easily annoyed, quick to judge, heartless, puffed up with pride, altogether righteous, without grace and without mercy.  Jesus washed his feet.  

What does that say about Jesus?

"I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you."
John 13:15