Monday 30 January 2012

A Whole awful lot

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
Dr Seuss, The Lorax

That day.

It was on that day.  My husband was at home, lying low, recovering from dental surgery, it was just a little thing.  He was poor in spirit, but confident this was for the best, it was. On that day, I left him, to go and help the poor in circumstance.  It was the first year that ‘my people’ were asked to help pass out food hampers to people who were in need, in need of a helping hand.  My people were there, willing to do what we could, to lend a hand.

This day.

I am reminded of that day because, on this day, in both studies I am doing, we are being encouraged to help the poor.  We are encouraged  to serve others, to be part of the ‘circle of love’ to ‘reach out and touch others in our path.’

In our path…

On that day, we were asked to fill the hamper boxes and also to help carry those hampers to the cars of those in need.  As I walked alongside the couple, her with a walker and he with a cane, I carried their packages.  Stealing a look at her, I said “ I know you...”  She looked at me and said that at one time she was a nurse at the Abbotsford Hospital.  Then, I knew her.  She had helped me at one of my hospital stays, one of my birthing days, and I remembered how she had cared for me and comforted me.  She told me what had happened, to her and her husband, that landed them in this spot.  This spot of collecting a food hamper and having me carry it for them.  I said to her “ What a blessing for me. A blessing, that I can repay the kindness you did for me then.”  Full circle.  I love that.  

The circle of love.  The circle of loving and giving and caring for the poor, the poor in spirit, poor in health, poor in circumstance.

Caring for the poor in circumstance, in spirit…but who exactly are the poor?  

Many days have come and gone since that day and the poor are still with us.  The word of God says "the poor will always be with us.”  But still…who exactly are the poor?

Quite possibly it is you and me.

You say  'I am rich, I have acquired wealth and I don't need a thing. But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.”  Revelation 3:17

That day and this day, I am reminded that it is not wealth that makes me rich but it is my faith, my people, and caring for those who walk along the path with me.

Let the weak say I am strong, let the poor say I am rich...
let the blind say I can see, it's what the Lord has done for me.