Thursday 12 January 2012

Turn the Page

I have taken down my old calendar.  It’s not time to put up the new one just yet.

I love new calendars, they are beautiful, there is something special about them.  The paper they are printed on, the weight of them, the spiral, the fold…the font of the lettering and of the numbers…the boxes that contain these numbers, these units of time.  The cover and it‘s pages of pictures, tells the story of it, they set the mood, they leave hints of what is to come, what we can look forward to.  Seasons, the reminders of a past life, ideas of what can be, glimpses of the world, photos of sweet grandchildren…all of these offering hope for a new day...a new day of hope.

I love that, a new day, new hope.

I have just finished transposing all the important dates from my old calendar on to my new one; birthdates, anniversaries, special events, events that need to be remembered in the new year on that date.  It’s kind of a ritual for me, it‘s so personal. Taking down the old calendar is to remember, to remember moments in time, moments that have come and gone.  Moments that have passed by in just the blink of an eye…gone…but remembered.

As I went through my old calendar I became aware of these units of time, time passed; little squares of  days filled with life happening.  Units of time, glimpses of moments in a day, memories stacked in squares on a page.  Sometimes the squares are stacked with the same event or repercussions of it…when will this ever stop.  Some of the squares are filled with moments of joy, yes, let’s do it again!

Units of time; a day, a week, a month.  Turn the page.

Units of time; moments of sadness, hurt and moments of joy.  Turn the page.

Some moments last a day, some a day here and a day there.  Some moments are more than that, they fill up a week of squares maybe two.  More.  Turn the page.

Turning the pages, one thing I know for sure, another year has passed by and a new one has begun. This New Year is filled with days too…squares and pages of days and I am looking forward to the hope they are sure to be filled with.  2012, I am turning the page, so, out with the old and in with the new...new hope.

Ahh, my new calendar, it goes right here...I love that.

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
That sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.
                                                                                            Emily Dickinson