Sunday 18 March 2012

Learning How

This past week I was visiting my little family in Ontario, a special little holiday where I enjoyed mostly blue skies and warm weather.  Such a treat...and my little family?  Ahh, so sweet and beautiful and charming and funny.

While I was with them I helped teach two of my grandchildren to ride their bikes without training wheels, and one of them switched to one training wheel. My little three; Riley, Gracie, and Kenzie, going down the road, well not really going anywhere...yet.

Oh my! 

They were absolutely ridiculously funny, wobbly, all arms and legs, eyes wide open squealing and of course scraped knees, tears.  My daughter, my son-in-law and myself, we three, were filled with anxious anticipation as we held up, picked up, ran alongside and called out; slow down, watch the road, turn, turn, stop at the stop sign, STOP!  Put your foot down, watch where you’re going...and then “Ohhh Nooo!”  

We cheered and clapped and watched pride smiling and we wiped faces tear stained.  I wondered what the neighbours thought as they watched my little three zig zag the street with their accomplishment and pride as they learned how to ride their bikes.  My pride, these three, who are fast entering a new chapter to their young life and many new kinds of learning how.

I am learning something new too, every day a little something comes my way.  Some of them are old things, things I already knew but now I have to learn in a new way.  Some of them are new things, things I have to learn new, fresh, on my own.  Some things I thought I knew, but I found out that I never did know them at all.  

I am learning to think differently, to be more sensitive, I am learning that I’m not the only one learning. 

Now that’s a revelation...I am not the only one learning.
 
To learn is to do, to endure, to complete, to cope with, to accomplish and to manage all things.  To learn is to gain knowledge, to acquire experience, to become aware...we are all learning together, zig zagging down the same streets showing off our accomplishments, cheering one another on and hopefully, we are picking each other up and wiping one anothers tear stained faces...

Down the road we go, learning how.

"My dear, dear friends!  I love you so much.  I do want the very best for you.  You make me feel such joy, fill me with such pride.  Don't waver.  Stay on track, steady in God."  
Phillipians 4:1   the Msg