Tuesday 6 December 2011

Like a Winter Snow

I have a special friend, though we are apart in age, some have said to me that we are cut from the same cloth, her and I. It could be we are, does God cut from cloth? Threads maybe, He weaves them together. The bible talks of threads often, in many ways, connecting to one another, braided together, knit together, woven, tied…God’s tapestries.

Well, my friend and I have many threads in common, her birthday is one day off from mine, her husband's birthday is one day off from my husband's. Her daughter was born in the same month as my daughter. My daughter, Dana, it was her birthday yesterday, so beautiful.

My daughter has been touched by my friend, it seems they are soul mates and I have been touched by her daughter, I was close by, the year she was born, she has always been sweet, like my daughter...they may be cut from the same cloth.

Connecting threads. Threads of the same colour, different tapestries, hers and mine. Both beautifully threaded with accomplishments and with disappointments. Both woven with joy and with loss. Both interwoven with faith, hope and love.

On Sunday morning my friend's daughter sang a song in church that touched me. It was beautiful. She sang it quiet, soft and slow.

This song, I’ve heard it before, I have the words written down, I know them. A song written by Audrey Assad, called ‘Winter Snow'. A beautiful song that sings the story of Christ coming to earth, to us. He could have come like a mighty storm, a hurricane but He didn’t, He came in like a winter snow. Quiet and soft and slow.

It reminds me of my husband, John. He was a man’s man, tough and strong. Sometimes his temper got the better of him, he wasn’t one to sit by quietly when something wasn’t going his way. Sometimes though, he was. Once, when his employee wasn’t responding very well at a job site, I asked him, why aren’t you saying something? He answered me, “ Bud, sometimes, you just have to eat it.” Just sit by. That comment surprised me. I took it in and I try to remember that message…just sit by.

This last ‘something’ that he went through,was definitely not going his way and his choice was to sit by quietly. He could have gone out like a hurricane, all mad but he didn’t. He left us in November, in a whisper, all quiet, like a winter snow.

“When you get close enough and quiet enough, He will whisper a secret to your heart and it will change your life. In that moment all your fears will be gone.”
Stormie Omartian