Sunday 18 December 2011

The Dancing Man


“The mountains and hills will burst into song before you and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.”
Isaiah 55:12
“You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace.”

One of the books I read to my girls when they were little was called 'The Dancing Man'  I loved that book, maybe more than they did. It is a story of a little boy who wants some joy in his life. He can see that the world around him is dancing, the trees sway and the clouds dance in the sky, but he didn't know that joy for himself, he wanted it, he waited for it. One day, an old man dances up to him and offers him a gift...

“I am the dancing man,” he said, “and I have a gift for you.”

The little boy takes the gift and soon he is dancing like the old man.  He shares his gift with others and soon they know his joy too.

This story is actually a parable, originating from South Africa.  It tells the story that life is a gift from God.

A gift from God, peace, joy and ...dancing.

Last night I went to my granddaughters dance recital, Hadley, who is three, soon to be turning four, so sweet.  The recital was absolutely beautiful, all the dancers, all the joy.  Of course, her performance was the sweetest, well, all the dancers were sweet and beautiful. This recital was an early Christmas gift, a gift of dancing, a gift of joy. 

Hadley loves to sing and dance and just twirl, she’s teaching it to her sister, Presley.  Such a joy to watch them dancing, sharing their little gifts with each other, with us...joy, laughter, dancing.  Both of them are a gift, gifts from God.  My other granddaughters, Riley and Gracie dance too, they also had their recital, but it was very far away, I know they are just as sweet, I've seen them practicing, twirling, just beautiful, more gifts from God.

God has a gift for all of us, it is wound up in Christmas, it is His Son, the reason we celebrate at this season.   His Son has a gift for us, it is His life, for us. 

“For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life"
John 3:16

What an amazing gift, isn't it cause to burst into song and to clap our hands, to go out in joy ...dancing.

"I Am the Dancing Man," he said, "and I have a gift for you."