Friday 17 January 2014

The Best Words a Heart Can Speak

I had a few things happen to me during this past week, things that saddened me, not horrible, but still…I cried.

These kinds of things happen to everyone, I know that, everyday things that sometimes wouldn’t even make you sad, but sometimes they do; some things that are meant to hurt and they hit the heart hard, bursting it in two; some  things happen that are not meant to hurt at all, but still, they do…some things haven't even happened to you but you feel it. Some things happen that are not horrible but still, you cry.

Of course I’m not fond of these moments, the tear filled hours, the days of feeling unknown, alone and tear swollen but there is a purpose; tears soften the soul.

Tears…sometimes they are the best words a heart can speak, I love that, I do.

I very nearly fell asleep with them but I didn’t, my heart heard the words and came around to peace, I love that too, I do.

My bedroom window  is large, a patio door actually and I leave the curtains pulled back giving me the pleasure of looking out to the lights reflecting off the lake and the stars out in the further distance…beauty.  I awoke this morning to a beautiful sunrise all pink, cloud streaked, the lake reflecting the soft color, sparkling and I thanked God for this view!

No sooner had I moved than my phone rang, the voice of a friend, one I hadn’t expected, sweet words, kind, thoughtful, funny…I laughed…how amazing to be greeted by the unexpected and I thanked God for this friend.

I hung up and wandered to my mirror, I could plainly see this was going to be a good hair day, an unimportant fact really but still every woman, maybe even the men know a bad hair day can affect everything; but clearly this was going to be a good day…yay for me and smiling, I silently sent a thankful word to God.

Downstairs for a cup of tea, waiting for the water to boil I looked to my newly decorated wall; decorated with framed photos of my grandchildren and their parents, everyone beautiful, “Thank-you for this amazing mix of little characters and the folks that shape them…too much!”

Oh man, here is the mail I haven’t touched for a few days; nothing fun, bills; thankfully I have money to pay them and then, yes, one late delivered Christmas card…perfect.

So, all ready, in my ‘truck’ (it is not a van or a car) dog fed and walked, garage door closed and on my way, listening to the radio, taking in the music and hearing the words of the announcer…

 “What if you only had the things you thanked God for this morning?”

I was amazed, the world around me stopped, in awe I smiled; what if those were the only things I had?

...a beautiful world, a wonderful family, a good friend, money and great hair!

Who could ask for anything more!  Being thankful...the best words a heart can speak.

I love that.