Monday 2 September 2013

Don't Cry

Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened

I saw these words posted on a church sign, you know, the kind of sign where the glass door opens and the letters can be placed there to make words and sentences, phrases and quotes.  Words of inspiration for passers-by, people walking, riding their bikes, in their cars, eyes open taking in their surroundings, thinking about their life and taking in the words on this sign.  Two churches are on this corner, the hospital is up the road and my parent’s house a little further on, I always pass by here and I am always looking to see the words of wisdom this pastor posts on the sign with the glass door.

Of course there are those who pass by and never look, let alone take it in, they are too busy with their minds, busy on the inside rather than the outside…missing out on the  life going on around them, missing out on inspiration found on the edges of their travels.

Sometimes I find myself too busy on the inside, my friend says, “Get out of your head and into your heart.”  I love hearing that from time to time, it wakes me up and I see the world around me through my heart instead of my head.  Looking through your heart helps you to see clearer; you can see more of what is going on around you, which brings me back to the words on the sign.

Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened

I wondered why a church would have those words on their sign.  What would be over?  Suffering? A hard life?  A tough lesson? Overcoming a sin? Yes I can see it, all of those would be worthy of a good cry…yes, don’t cry because it’s over, smile because you have overcome, you have found Jesus, you have been saved, Hallelujah!  But no, the sign says smile because it happened?  That doesn’t make any sense at all, yet the message seems to be pointing to what happened.  What happened, that you would be sad that it’s over? What happened that would be worthy of putting on a church sign, the kind that has a glass door, where you can put words of wisdom to cheer up the world that passes by?

Ahh, yes, I know what happened…running barefoot, playing with our children on the beach, camping with our friends, visiting parks and playgrounds, celebrating family in the sunshine, running about outdoors getting sun kissed, tanned and freckled. Cozying up by the fire roasting marshmallows, sparks crackling up into the night, lying flat on our backs arms crooked under our neck,  looking out to the starry night, pointing out the big dipper, mars, the moon, satellites, fireflies, listening to the owl hoot, hoot and the splashing of the water up against the shore.  Walking late in the evenings, enjoying the night sounds; crickets, frogs, traffic in the distance. Spending time enjoying the people God has placed in our life, creating memories together, sharing, laughing, loving, moments of seemingly endless fun enjoying Gods creation, His land, His peace, this season; the endless days of summer, fun days that are over…but don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.
 
Ahh the long days of summer,yes...smiling because it happened.

I love that.