Saturday 16 February 2013

Do You Know Who You Are?


I have been reading a book called Snow Falling on Cedars, it tells the story of a Japanese girl in a small town in the middle of a white man’s world, during 1941 after the bombing of Pearl Harbour.  She is struggling to make sense of who she is in these troubling days, who she is in her relationships, who she is in this place she calls home.

Her mother says to her “…these are difficult times, nobody knows who they are now.  Everything is cloudy and unclear.”

Do you know who you are, does anybody know, can we?  Is anytime or anything clear, clear enough to see who we are?  Some of what makes us who we are is set by the standards of the world around us, the place where we live, some of it is set in place by our families, who we came from.  But a lot of who we are is determined by our choices.

Martha chose to be busy, to set preparations and tables, she chose to serve.  Mary chose to sit and to listen, to take it all in, she chose to be still.  Now I think it is not so much what Martha chose to do so much as what she chose to say, she chose to complain, to say in words out loud what she was doing and then to say just as loud what Mary was not.   In this moment, Jesus said Mary has chosen what is better.

I want to choose what is better.  Not so much that I want to sit and be still, because I know I can do that and I do, but I want to serve too, to serve those whom I love, those in need around me.  More than that, what I want is to choose better in the moment, in that exact moment I want to choose what is better.  But like the mother in the story I am reading, I am aware that right now for me, these are difficult times, I am trying hard to know who I am, and I am trying to get out of the clouds to be clear. I want to do what is better.

I went to a conference this weekend with some friends, the speaker; Kelly Minter spoke to us about knowing who we are.  We are chosen, we are set apart, holy and we are dearly loved.  She said a problem begins when we do not understand who we are, chosen, holy and dearly loved. When we can understand this about ourselves, when we can understand the way God sees us, then our choices become better, choices like compassion, kindness, gentleness, patience, forgiveness, love, knowing peace and knowing truth…being clear…knowing who I am, knowing who I already am

Chosen, holy and dearly loved  
Collossions 3:12

I love that.