Sunday 15 July 2012

A Tear fell


Andrew shared a beautiful sermon this morning.  His words were filled with heart and soul, love and truth.  His words brought me to tears.

God was found in a gentle whisper... 1 Kings 18,19

I am sure that everyone in church this morning was going over their own mountain top-to-in-the valley experiences, moments of time filling their hearts and minds and souls, feeling the way I did. Thinking of their times in the desert, maybe still there, holding out for God, waiting for His gentle whisper.  

I heard a pin drop... a tear fell...and then, more.

In amongst the beautiful words Andrew shared this morning, one small thing caught my attention.  It had to do with imagining outcomes or reasons of events.  This is something we all are guilty of...putting our imaginations to things that happen in our lives.  Imaginations that have no basis for truth, but are thoughts of what could be, or what should be and maybe even what we should do about it, all blown up into such proportions that the truth itself becomes distorted.
 
How often do we get ourselves in trouble by doing this?  I know I’m guilty of it.
Or how often are we hurt by doing this, we come away feeling unloved, not accepted, maybe even abandoned.

On Friday night I was in a small book store, where I read an excerpt from a book, Wherever You Go There You Are, the author says

 “...we usually fall quite unawares into assuming that what we are thinking – the ideas and opinions that we harbour at any given time - are the truth about what is ‘out there’ in the world.  Most of the time it just isn’t so...we lock ourselves into a personal fiction that we already know what is happening- all the while remaining in thoughts, fantasies and impulses, mostly about the past and about the future, about what we want and like, and what we fear and don’t like, which spin out continuously, veiling our direction and the very ground we are standing on.

Imaginations that cloud what is true; imagining that you are not loved, believing that you could not be loved, supposing this , thinking that...these imaginations hurt.  They hurt the heart and soul.  We should all work at seeing what is true.

“If I could give you one thing, I would give you the ability to see yourself 
through my eyes.  Then you would realize how special you are."  
                                                                                  unknown

Hmmm, I love that.