Friday 4 May 2012

Sharing Words


“I wanted words but all I heard was nothing” 
                                                                                           ...in a song by The Script

I’m reading a book right now called “WORDS” written by Ginny Yttrup.  It is the story of a girl who has lost her voice but collects words; she keeps them in an imaginary box in her mind.  These words help her to understand things that happen to her, they help her to understand how she feels. Eventually she will say them and she will be freed to own them and to share them.

After having shared words with someone have you ever gotten nothing in return, no, nothing?
I have.   To me, that is so sad, I love words, sharing them is important.  I love saying them and I love hearing them.  I love hearing them said in ways that have meaning, depth and power. I love hearing them said soft and slow, whispered.  I love hearing a word and realizing it means something else to someone else; a different way of knowing a word, a different way of understanding that person.

Word …the dictionary definition:

Word (wurd) n 1. A sound or a combination of sounds or its representation in print. 
2. Something said; an utterance, a comment
3. An assurance or a promise
4. A command or direction
5. A verbal signal or a password
6. a. News. b. Rumor
7. a. see Logos. b. The Scriptures, the Bible

That is a lot of ways to understand Word; it is the spoken word, something said. It is how it sounds and how it is written, printed on a page. It is a promise, it is commanded, spoken, rumored. It is a password to life. It is proclaiming news and it is sacred.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path"
Psalm 119:105

Words are meant to be shared.  Words describe things, they help to understand what is happening, they let me know how to feel.  Words can be measured too. Finding the right words, measuring them, knowing how to say them and being careful how I hear them.

Words mean more than you know, know them, read them, share them; if they are said to you they can lift your soul, if they are said by you they can lift another soul…

“Sometimes someone says something really small 
and it fits just right into this empty place in your heart."  
                                                                                                          words I heard somewhere...
and it fits just right...I love that.