Sunday 1 April 2012

A Softened Heart


I am remembering a conversation I had with a friend some time ago.  My friend was explaining to me the story of her friend, someone who seemed to be making all the wrong choices.  My friend was concerned saying, of her friend, that all is lost, the choices have been made, and the hope is gone.

My thoughts were and I said them to my friend, ‘how can you think that God is finished with her yet? There is much more time for God to work.’

My friend wanted answers now, she wanted redemption now, she wanted repentance and change that she could see now…as if it was her time, as if it was up to her.

The truth is it is not up to her, nor has it to do with her time.  The truth is God’s time is not our time.  The truth is it is not for us to see proven, the work that we do to convince.  The truth is it is God’s work.  He is the one who does soul work, we reflect it.

Andrew read this scripture this morning, John 12:40...

He has blinded their eyes
And deadened their hearts
So they can neither see with their eyes
Nor understand with their hearts.

I believe it.  I get it.  I don’t always like it, but it’s not up to me.

What is up to me is to reflect God’s heart, to show love.  God knows when to soften the hearts He has hardened.  He knows each and every heart.  He knows when to open the eyes of those who need to see. 

A softened heart doesn’t mean salvation now; a softened heart means that it is open to the belief to receive it.

We learned a lesson while doing Experiencing God and Andrew said something in his sermon this morning that reminded me of it; that we each need a crisis to come to belief, to prove it true.  

True belief…proven.

John’s heart was being softened, I prayed for it for years, but it was all in Gods timing…John's heart softened a little more, his eyes saw a little more.  And then the crisis…he chose to prove his belief…I didn’t have to do a thing but hold on to hope.

God knows the purpose He has for each soul, He knows the time, and He knows the heart…it’s not up to me.  

I love that.