Monday 23 January 2012

Wherever you go there you are


I was at my grand daughters birthday party on Friday, it was so sweet, she is turning four, a very special princess.  Yes, a party for royalty, for in our presence were eleven little princesses dressed in their finest tulle and satin, amongst them, one very fine prince (who by the way was in a batman cape, his chest protected by a shield)…too much fun.

My daughter-in-law was bent over the party table, preparing it for the party royalty, when I heard her say “How did I get here?”  I was just about to pardon her words when she straightened up and said again  ‘How did I get here?  It was only yesterday when it was me dressing up for parties, now here I am, making them for my own daughter…how did I get here?”   We all laughed…so true.

How did I get here?

Those words have been on my mind.  My question has been “where is here?”  People can see where I am but I don’t know where that is.  I read once  ‘wherever you go there you are’  but still, where is that?  And how far is it from here?   How do I get there from here?

Have you ever been lost?

I am remembering a time when my daughter, who may have been three, maybe four, got lost.  We were shopping in a big mall store, my little girl was playing hide and seek amongst the clothing racks…whose child hasn’t done that?  Somehow she got turned around and came out where I wasn’t.  I called for her and called and called.  Lost.  My little girl was lost!  Then, from way over there, I saw her little self walking towards me.  A small boy and his Dad, holding hands, were walking just behind her. As they came closer the Dad said to me “We found her, way over there, alone walking.  We just stuck with her until she led us around, back here to where she was supposed to be.”  They knew where she was, but she didn’t know where that was.  She thought she was lost.

That’s how it is for me right now, people know where I am but I don’t know where that is.

Lost.  It seems I am lost.

Ruth said  “Where you go I will go, your people will be my people, and your God will be my God."

My people.   My God.

It seems I am lost,
but, as long as my people and my God know where I am,
for now,
that’s where I am.

“I Am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, 
and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done 
what I have promised you." 
                                                       Genesis 28:15